Gala-Salvador Dalí Foundation


Search
Search    
 You are in: Home > Museums > Salvador Dalí Museum-House > History   Library
Library
© Jordi Puig
Portlligat: Casa-Museu Salvador Dalí Print
HISTORY

Gala’s and Dalí’s bedroom
Gala’s and Dalí’s bedroom
Winter dining room
Winter dining room

The Portlligat Museum-House was Salvador Dalí’s only fixed abode, the place in which he usually lived and worked up till 1982 when, upon Gala’s death, he took up residence at Púbol Castle.

 

Salvador Dalí moved to Portlligat in 1930, into a small fisherman’s hut, attracted by the landscape, the light and the isolation of the place. Taking that initial construction as a basis, he created his house little by little over the course of forty years. He himself described it “like a true biological structure [...]. Each new pulse in our life has its own new cell, a room”.

 

The resulting form is the present labyrinthine structure which, from one point of departure, the Bear Lobby, spreads out and winds around in a succession of zones linked by narrow corridors, slight changes of level and blind passageways. Packed out with a multitude of objects and mementoes of Dalí, these zones are decorated with features that make them particularly warm: carpets, whitewash, dried flowers, velvet upholstery, antique furniture, stuffed animals, etc. Furthermore, all the rooms have windows of different shapes and proportions framing the same landscape that is a constant point of reference in Dalí’s work: the Portlligat bay.

 

Three different areas can be distinguished in the house: the part where the couple’s more private life was lived, on the ground floor and rooms 7 to 12; the studio, rooms 5 and 6, with numerous objects related with artistic activity; and the outside areas, room 13 and courtyards 14 and 15, designed to live a public life.

 

TopTop
© 2010 - Gala-Salvador Dalí Foundation - All rights reserved - Legal notice - Privacy - Copyright