Cat. no. P 424
- c. 1934
- Oil on canvas
- 39.3 x 31.2 cm
- Signed lower left at a later date: Salvador Dalí
- Private collection
- Zwemmer Gallery, London
- T. M. Sterling, Toronto
- Heirs of T. M. Sterling
- Auctioned at Parke-Bernet, New York, October 20th, 1976
- Galerie Jan Krugier, Geneva
- Galerie Isy Brachot, Brussels
- Auctioned at Christie's, London, December 9th, 1998
- Auctioned at Sotheby's, New York, May 11th, 2000
This painting is entitled "Monument hyphagogique" for we believe it may correspond to the work Dalí presented at the exhibition held at the Zwemmer Gallery, London, from October 24th to November 10th 1934, number 9. The corresponding English translation has not been added (which generally appears with the original title between parenthesis) because the word "hyphagogique" is an invention by Dalí. Although this painting is traditionally considered from 1936, the iconographic elements correspond to the ones in paintings from 1934. For this reason the artwork has been moved to the 1934 period.
- 1934, London, Zwemmer Gallery, Salvador Dali. Catalogue of an Exhibition of Paintings, Drawings & Etchings, 24/10/1934 - 10/11/1934, cat. no. 9
- 1989, Stuttgart, Staatsgalerie, Salvador Dalí, 1904-1989, 13/05/1989 - 23/07/1989, cat. no. 148
- 1991, Tokyo, Mitsukoshi Museum of Art, Dalí exhibition, 10/10/1991 - 17/11/1991, cat. no. 47
- Salvador Dali : La Gare de Perpignan accompagnée d'une petite rétrospective, Galerie André-François Petit, Paris, , n. p.
- Salvador Dali : La Gare de Perpignan accompagnée d'une petite rétrospective, Galerie André-François Petit, Paris, , p. 16
- Salvador Dalí, 1904-1989, Gerd Hatje, Stuttgart, 1989, p. 193
- Dalí exhibition, Mitsukoshi Museum of Art, Tokyo, 1991, p. 98
- Robert Descharnes, Gilles Néret, Salvador Dalí, 1904 -1989, Benedikt Taschen, Köln, 1994, p. 262
The copyright on Salvador Dalí's works, included those that are reproduced in this Web page, is held by the Spanish State and has been granted in exclusivity to the Fundació Gala-Salvador Dalí.
Pursuant to intellectual property laws in force, the total or partial reproduction, distribution, transformation, public communication, interactively making available to the public, as well as any other exploitation, by any means, of the works included in this Web page is prohibited.
Any exploitation of Salvador Dalí's works is subject to the prior application and clearance of the relevant licence issued by VEGAP (tel. 91 532 66 32 and 93 201 03 31 ; www.vegap.es). Copyright infringement will be prosecuted according to Laws.