Cat. no. P 244
- c. 1930
- Oil on wood panel
- 69 x 44 cm
- Signed and dated at the base of the bust: Salvador Dali 1923
- Inscribed at the base of the bust: Salvador Dali 1923 / a Gala Diaconova
- J. Nicholson, Beverly Hills, (California)
- Paul Éluard, Paris
- LeRay W. Berdeau, Palm Beach (Florida)
- Auctioned at Christie's, New York, May 12th, 1993
This painting is entitled "Daybreak" since it may correspond to the painting Dalí presented at the exhibition held at the Burlington Galleries, London, from June 11th to July 4th, 1936, catalogue number 61. Although this work was dated by Dalí in the year 1923, we have no doubt whatsoever that it is a work from a later period and was probably painted in 1930.
- 1936, London, New Burlington Galleries, International Surrealist Exhibition, 11/06/1936 - 04/07/1936, cat. no. 61
- 1958, Houston, Contemporary Art Museum, The Disquieting Muse Surrealism, 09/01/1958 - 16/02/1958, no reference
- 1998, Liverpool, Tate Gallery Liverpool, Salvador Dalí: a mythology, 21/10/1998 - 31/01/1999, cat. no. 5
- 2004, Venezia, Palazzo Grassi, Dalí, 12/09/2004 - 16/01/2005, cat. no. 73
- Surrealism, Faber & Faber, London, 1936, il. 22
- Paul Éluard, "L'Évidence poétique", Cahiers d'Art, 31/12/1936, Paris, p. 188 (indirect image)
- Ninety-three oils by Salvador Dalí : 1917-1970, The Salvador Dali Museum, Cleveland, 1973, p. 150
- Salvador Dalí ... a panorama of his art, The Salvador Dali Museum, Cleveland, 1974, p. 150
- Roland Penrose, 80 años de surrealismo : 1900 - 1981, Polígrafa, Barcelona, 1981, p. 65 (indirect image)
- Rafael Santos Torroella, La Miel es más dulce que la sangre : las épocas lorquiana y freudiana de Salvador Dalí, Seix Barral, Barcelona, 1984, p. 189
- Takahiko Okada, Dalí, Shueisha, [S.l.], 1986, p. 67
- A. Reynolds Morse, Dali's animal crackers, Salvador Dalí Museum, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1993, p. 129
- Robert Descharnes, Gilles Néret, Salvador Dalí, 1904 -1989, Benedikt Taschen, Köln, 1994, p. 150
- Dawn Ades, Fiona Bradley, Salvador Dalí: a mythology, Tate Gallery Publishing, London, 1998, p. 56, p. 109 (detail)
- Dalí, Bompiani, [Milà], 2004, p. 129
- Dalí & film, Tate Publishing, London, 2007, p. 45
- Shûzô Takigushi, Dalí : Tokio, 1939, Notari, Genève, 2012, il. 5 (indirect image)
The copyright on Salvador Dalí's works, included those that are reproduced in this Web page, is held by the Spanish State and has been granted in exclusivity to the Fundació Gala-Salvador Dalí.
Pursuant to intellectual property laws in force, the total or partial reproduction, distribution, transformation, public communication, interactively making available to the public, as well as any other exploitation, by any means, of the works included in this Web page is prohibited.
Any exploitation of Salvador Dalí's works is subject to the prior application and clearance of the relevant licence issued by VEGAP (tel. 91 532 66 32 and 93 201 03 31 ; www.vegap.es). Copyright infringement will be prosecuted according to Laws.