Le signal de l'angoisse (The Signal of Anguish)
Cat. no. P 392
Le signal de l'angoisse (The Signal of Anguish)
- c. 1932-36
- Oil on wood panel
- 21.8 x 16.2 cm
- Signed and dated on the reverse: Dalí 1936
- Inscribed on the back: Le signal de l'angoisse / Dalí 1936
- Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh
- Galerie Kaethe Perls, Paris
- Frank Perls, Hollywood, Los Angeles (California)
- Mrs. Irving T. Snyder
- European collection
- Perls Galleries, New York
- Mayor Gallery, London
- Gabrielle Keiller
- SNGMA, bequeathed by the above in 1995
This work is dated on the reverse 1936 by Dalí. The date may correspond to the moment when the artist introduced some small changes to the composition, not to the actual date of execution. An image of the first stage of the painting is reproduced in "Minotaure" number 5, May 12th, 1934 (image 1), without date or title. Given the resemblance between this painting and the frontispiece Dalí produced for André Breton's book "Le revolver à cheveux blancs", 1932 (image 2), we may assume that this work was painted the same year or, perhaps, two years earlier (See the catalogue of the "Surrealism and After: The Gabrielle Keiller Collection" exhibition, held at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh from June 5th to November 9th 1997).
- 1934, Paris, Jacques Bonjean, Exposition Dali, 20/06/1934 - 13/07/1934, cat. no. 15
- 1934, New York, Julien Levy Gallery, Dali, 21/11/1934 - 10/12/1934, cat. no. 6
- 1941, New York, The Museum of Modern Art, Salvador Dalí, 19/11/1941 - 11/01/1942, cat. no. 20
- 1969, San Diego, Fine Arts Gallery of San Diego & Putnam Foundation, Timken Gallery Balboa Park, Modern masters of Spain painting : legacy of Spain, XXth century, 02/01/1969 - 04/03/1969, no reference
- 1979, Paris, Centre Georges Pompidou, Musée National d'Art Moderne, Salvador Dalí: rétrospective, 1920-1980, 18/12/1979 - 21/04/1980, cat. no. 134
- 2000, Hartford, Connecticut, Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Dalí's optical illusions, 21/01/2000 - 26/03/2000, cat. no. 10
- 2004, Venezia, Palazzo Grassi, Dalí, 12/09/2004 - 16/01/2005, cat. no. 122
- 2018, Dallas, Meadows Museum, SMU, Dalí: Poetics of the Small, 1929-1936, 09/09/2018 - 09/12/2018, cat. no. 8
- -, Salvador Dalí, Roger Caillois, Salvador Dalí, -, -, -, Minotaure [Sumari], Les Nouvelles couleurs du sex appeal spectral, La mante religieuse, Tableaux de Salvador Dali (il.lustracions), [Les Chants de Maldoror] (anunci), Documents 34 (anunci), [Exp, Albert Skira, Paris, 1934, p. 47
- Salvador Dalí, [Il.lustracions de Salvador Dalí], Minotaure, 12/05/1934, Paris, n. p.
- James Thrall Soby, Salvador Dalí, The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1941, p. 51
- Ricardo Gullón, De Goya al arte abstracto, La Torre, Rio Piedras [Puerto Rico], 1963, p. 115
- Modern masters of Spain painting : legacy of Spain, XXth century, Fine Arts Gallery of San Diego & Putnam Foundation, Timken Gallery Balboa Park, San Diego, 1969, n. p.
- Salvador Dalí: rétrospective, 1920-1980, Centre Georges Pompidou, Musée National d'Art moderne, Paris, 1979, p. 195
- Salvador Dalí, The Tate Gallery, London, 1980, il. 77
- Dawn Ades, Dalí and surrealism, Harper & Row, New York, 1982, p. 95
- Marco Di Capua, Dalí, Librairie Gründ, Paris, 1994, p. 161
- Robert Descharnes, Gilles Néret, Salvador Dalí, 1904 -1989, Benedikt Taschen, Köln, 1994, p. 237
- Surrealism and after : the Gabrielle Keiller collection, Scottish National Gallery of Art, Edinburgh, 1997, p. 
- Dalí's optical illusions, Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford, Connecticut, 2000, p. 87
- Dalí, Bompiani, [Milà], 2004, p. 202 (indirect image), p. 203
- The World of Salvador Dali and the 20 great masters of the 20th century, Morohashi Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo, 2005, n. p.
- Marta Luna, Toni Matas, Dalí i els altres secrets, Distribucions d'Art Surrealista, Figueres, 2006, p. 5 (detail). p. 12 (detail)
- Patrick Elliott, Another world : Dalí, Magritte, Miró and the surrealists, National Galleries of Scotland, Edimburgh, 2010, p. 6, p. 71
- Salvador Dalí, Instituto Tomie Ohtake, Sao Paulo, 2014, p. 79 (indirect image)
- Dali : poetics of the small, 1929-1936, Meadows Museum, Dallas, 2018, p. 113
The copyright on Salvador Dalí's works, included those that are reproduced in this Web page, is held by the Spanish State and has been granted in exclusivity to the Fundació Gala-Salvador Dalí.
Pursuant to intellectual property laws in force, the total or partial reproduction, distribution, transformation, public communication, interactively making available to the public, as well as any other exploitation, by any means, of the works included in this Web page is prohibited.
Any exploitation of Salvador Dalí's works is subject to the prior application and clearance of the relevant licence issued by VEGAP (tel. 91 532 66 32 and 93 201 03 31 ; www.vegap.es). Copyright infringement will be prosecuted according to Laws.