Cat. no. P 433
- Oil on canvas
- 112.3 x 112.3 cm
- Signed and dated lower right: Gala Salvador Dali 1935
- Private collection
- Mrs. Leslie M. Maitland
- Ruth McClymonds Maitland
- Mr. & Mrs. John Gilbert Dean
- Auctioned at Sotheby's, New York, November 2nd, 2005
When this painting was last auctioned in 2005, Ruth McClymonds Maitland appeared as the owner. However, according to our research, this work belonged to Mr. & Mrs. John Gilbert Dean, and for this reason they appear in the provenance list.
- 1935, Pittsburgh, Carnegie Institute, The 1935 International Exhibition of Paintings, 17/10/1935 - 08/12/1935, cat. no. 324
- 1936, Toledo, The Toledo Museum of Art, European section of the thirty-third Carnegie international exhibition of paintings, 01/03/1936 - 19/04/1936, cat. no. 245
- 1941, New York, The Museum of Modern Art, Salvador Dalí, 19/11/1941 - 11/01/1942, cat. no. 27
- 1964, Hollywood Boulevard, Municipal Art Gallery, An exhibition of drawings and paintings by Salvador Dalí, 20/11/1964 - 20/12/1964, cat. no. 2
- 1965, New York, Gallery of Modern Art, Salvador Dalí, 1910-1965, 18/12/1965 - 13/03/1966, cat. no. 70
- The 1935 international exhibition of paintings, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburg, 1935, il. 433
- James Thrall Soby, Salvador Dalí, The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1941, p. 57
- "The great flight of culture: twelve artists in U.S. exile", Fortune, 31/12/1941, New Jersey, n. p.
- Rosamund Frost, Contemporary art : the march of art from Cézanne until now, Crown, New York, 1942, cover (detail), p. 170
- A M., "Crown City Has Notable Exhibitions", Los Angeles Times, 02/05/1948, Los Angeles, n. p. (detail)
- Salvador Dalí, "Salvador Dali- his «nostalgic echo»...(il)", Times, 02/05/1948, Los Angeles, Cal., n. p. (detail)
- Juan Antonio Gaya Nuño, Salvador Dalí, Omega, Barcelona, 1950, il. 22
- Dalí [An exhibition of drawings and paintings by Salvador Dalí], Municipal Art Gallery, Hollywood Boulevard, (1964), n. p.
- Henry J Seldis, "The Weird World of Dali on View at Barnsdall Park", Los Angeles Times, 29/11/1964, Los Angeles, n. p. (detail)
- Salvador Dalí, 1910-1965, The Foundation for Modern Art, New York, 1965, p. 67
- Ninety-three oils by Salvador Dalí : 1917-1970, The Salvador Dali Museum, Cleveland, 1973, p. 165 (detail)
- Salvador Dalí ... a panorama of his art, The Salvador Dali Museum, Cleveland, 1974, p. 165
- Robert Descharnes, Gilles Néret, Salvador Dalí, 1904 -1989, Benedikt Taschen, Köln, 1994, p. 267
The copyright on Salvador Dalí's works, included those that are reproduced in this Web page, is held by the Spanish State and has been granted in exclusivity to the Fundació Gala-Salvador Dalí.
Pursuant to intellectual property laws in force, the total or partial reproduction, distribution, transformation, public communication, interactively making available to the public, as well as any other exploitation, by any means, of the works included in this Web page is prohibited.
Any exploitation of Salvador Dalí's works is subject to the prior application and clearance of the relevant licence issued by VEGAP (tel. 91 532 66 32 and 93 201 03 31 ; www.vegap.es). Copyright infringement will be prosecuted according to Laws.