Trilogy of the Desert. Mirage
Cat. no. P 621
Trilogy of the Desert. Mirage
- c. 1946
- Oil on canvas
- 35.6 x 60 cm
- Signed lower center: DALI
- National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
- William Lighfoot Schultz, New York
- Auctioned at Christie's, London, December 10th, 1998
- Private collection
- Auctioned at Christie's, London, February 6th, 2006
- Private collection, Switzerland
Mirage is one of the three paintings that Dalí made to publicize the new Leigh "Desert Flower" perfume for Shulton, Inc.
- 1946, New York, M. Knoedler & Company, Inc., Salvador Dali: "Trilogy of the desert", October 30th, 1946, no reference
- 1963, Los Angeles, Britts Department Stores, 3 priceless paintings by Salvador Dali, December 1963, no reference
- 1965, Nashville, Harvey`s, 12/04/1965 - 16/04/1965, no reference
- 1966, Kenosha, Montgomery Ward, 21/03/1966 - 26/03/1966, no reference
- Ellen Fulton, "Abvertising through works of foremost American artists gains new popularity", St. Petersburg Times, 27/10/1946, St. Petersburg, Fla., n. p.
- "Dali introduces new perfume", Art News, 30/11/1946, New York, n. p.
- "Dali Wielding His Brush In Shulton Perfume Pusl", Marketing, 05/10/1956, Toronto, n. p.
- S.m. Aguirre, "Dalí en La Habana", Gaceta Ilustrada, 04/07/1959, Madrid, p. 30 (detail)
- "Desert Flower", The Washington Post, 17/01/1960, Washington, D.c., n. p. (detail)
- [See the $100,000 original paintings by Salvador Dalí
][anunci], The Washington Post, 17/01/1960, Washington, n. p.
- "The Dazzling Doings Of Dali", Times, 31/07/1963, Pekin, Ill., n. p. (detail)
- [«Mirage»- This picture...], Press, 02/08/1964, Asbury Park, N.j., n. p. (detail)
- "Display ad 110--no title", Chicago Tribune, 26/11/1964, Chicago, n. p. (detail)
- "Desert flower (il.)", News-sentinel, 07/03/1965, Knoxville, Tenn., n. p.
- "The dazzling doings of Dali", Carolina Times, 14/08/1965, Durham, N.c., n. p. (detail)
- [Frank o'Brien and...], Morn. Journal Star, 19/01/1966, Peoria, Ill., n. p. (indirect image)
- "Dali Paintings Highlight Mall Art Show", Tribune, 27/01/1966, Royal Oak, Mich., n. p.
- Sarah Rickman, "Dali Paints Arid Fantasy", News, 07/02/1966, Detroit, Mich., n. p. (detail)
- [MIRAGE, ONE OF...], American Perfumer & Cosmetics, 28/02/1966, Oak Park, Ill., n. p. (detail)
- "Dali's bizarre paintings at center", Macomb Daily, 02/03/1966, Mt. Clemens, Mich., n. p. (indirect image)
- Betty Ann, "Artist interpreting floral fragrance", Journal, 06/03/1966, Milwaukee, Wis., n. p. (detail)
- Elaine Edwards, "Teamwork sells this show", News, 18/03/1966, Kenosha, Wis., n. p.
- [Shown with one...], Cosmetics Fair, 31/01/1970, New York, N.y., n. p. (indirect image)
- Robert Descharnes, Gilles Néret, Salvador Dalí, 1904 -1989, Benedikt Taschen, Köln, 1994, p. 395
- Les Essentiels de l'art Dalí, Ludion, Amsterdam, 2003, p. 264
- The Portable Dalí, Universe, New York, 2003, p. 264
The copyright on Salvador Dalí's works, included those that are reproduced in this Web page, is held by the Spanish State and has been granted in exclusivity to the Fundació Gala-Salvador Dalí.
Pursuant to intellectual property laws in force, the total or partial reproduction, distribution, transformation, public communication, interactively making available to the public, as well as any other exploitation, by any means, of the works included in this Web page is prohibited.
Any exploitation of Salvador Dalí's works is subject to the prior application and clearance of the relevant licence issued by VEGAP (tel. 91 532 66 32 and 93 201 03 31 ; www.vegap.es). Copyright infringement will be prosecuted according to Laws.